install question

Richard A. Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 19 05:50:40 CST 2004

Jeremy Turner wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 13:45, Richard A. Franklin wrote:
>

>>packages, tried the xf86config routine ...
>>

>Try:
>
># XFree86 -configure
>
>This will attempt to auto-detect your mouse/kbd and video adaptor.
>After running the command, it puts a XF86Config.new file in your /root
>directory, which you will need (or should) copy to
>/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
>
>I have a Radeon 7500 and Debian works just fine.  You probably should
>use the 'radeon' or 'ati' module in the XF86Config-4 file.
>
>Jeremy

Yes, ATI was the correct choice, as Jason C. pointed out earlier. Thanks
to Chris B. (who applied his expertise to the task this last Tuesday at
Foss) my Debian install is a success ... and I even had a quick apt
tutorial.

I enjoyed fetching packages with apt while listening to mostly good
natured political discussion. <mildly sardonic grin>.  The
post-Installfest Denny's sit-in at 105th & Metcalf, while not as
colorful or scary as the slightly North of the river Denny's, included a
continuation of brilliant conversation, none of which will influence my
vote in any way whatsoever, but damn fun anyway.

Back to LINUX IN A NUTSHELL  ;-) ... a desktop quick reference.

Peace,
Rick