Anyone doing any Internet Marketing?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Thu Mar 18 17:26:46 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:39:31 -0600 David Ryman <KCLUG at davidryman.com>
writes:
> Hi,
> I have been away, but now I'm back.
> I recently got involved with Internet Marketing and Sales,
> I know it's not an ideal job, but with all the programming
> jobs going overseas I have to try something.

So instead of taking up moisture farming, you're going to the Dark Side?

(obscure Star Wars references)

> I am trying to set up some online tools to market to other
> marketers, and knowing that there are some out there
> looking for work etc. I thought I'd ask, to see if I can get
> some help and make a little money together. I have found
> that most of the 'tools' out there are WinDoze only, I
> would like to change that so that Linux dominates, like it
> will in all other areas.

Most of the "tools" are Windoze only for a reason: M$ includes all kinds
of backdoors and security flaws in Windoze for the sole reason of
encouraging marketers to use Windoze.

Hint: why do you think that Mozilla comes with a popup blocker and that
this popup blocker is turned on by *default*; whereas M$ Internet
Explorer has no such feature?

Spyware requires the M$ bug^H^H^Hfeature which allows programs to
*install themselves* without the knowledge and/or consent of the end
user.  Linux, by contrast, allows no such unwanted installs of software,
and certainly doesn't allow the kind of unlimited "root access" which M$
allows to spyware.

M$ requires so many changes to be made inside the administrator's account
that most users simply run everything from the administrator's account,
allowing web-based marketing methods to install all kinds of software,
cookies, and spyware on an end-users' computer.  Linux, in contrast, has
the su command allowing changes which run inside the root account to be
made from inside any other account.

Linux focuses on Java for its web app needs.  Java runs inside a tightly
controlled "sandbox" and has no direct access to the computer it is
running on.

M$ focuses on ActiveX controls and Visual Basic, which do not run inside
any form of "sandbox", having control over some (or all) of the computer
they are running on.

Linux does not dominate in this market for precisely the reasons why M$
does not dominate when it comes to security and reliability.  To make
Linux dominate in this area would require some serious and *debilitating*
changes to the Linux kernel and to all the utilities that run on top of
the kernel.

> Anyone interested please contact me off list, as this is not
> strictly Linux,
> at IMhelp at DavidRyman.com.

Of course its strictly Linux.  It helps define to the unwashed heathen
just why Linux is *not* used for the scummy filthy marketing methods
which "dominate" web marketing.

And the interesting thing about all this is that web marketing these days
seems to be largely about the scummy filthy marketing methods which
dominate web marketing.  Frankly I'm entirely too happy that Linux can't
do half the things marketers get away with these days.

The one or two times I'm forced into using Internet Explorer (such as
public libraries or a friend's house) the quantity of popup and popover
ads (such as a Cartoon Network ad which hid all the content on the screen
for thirty seconds while telling me about some cartoon I *had* no
interest in but now HATE) make me really happy about Linux not having any
of those things, and about Mozilla (with a Hosts file) being able to
block nearly all of them.

If anyone finds out the web addresses of any of David Ryman's new
marketing buddies, let me know so I can add them to my Hosts file.  I
only need their domain names, I'll find out what IP address I should use
for the Hosts file.  :)