"Cyber cafe" timekeeping software

cwgee9801-RR cwgee9801 at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 19:18:11 CST 2004

> Why go to all this trouble? This is a Linux pc we're talking about?
> Just modify the kids accounts, so that they have the time and time of
> day restrictions, then turn on accounting and you'll have your
> 'administrator' tracking of they're online times.

(( P.S. I won't trouble the list with this topic again. Already got some
suggestions. So just keep your eyes open for me if you will. Thanks.))

You're probably right, but I'm new to Linux and am missing how this would be
done. The three issues I can't figure out for using Linux alone are (1) kids
will be using a Windows machine not Linux, (2) restrictions more complex
than the administrator account offers,  and (3) some other unique
restrictions
such as maximum connection time followed by a mandatory "break".

The two boys would be using only a Windows machine where all their high
performance games and applications are -- not Linux. . So there would need
to be a way to "pass through" their account info to a Linux connection
server for an internet connection. They could do this, alright.  In fact,
the Windows machine may be WAP connected.

Also, I need automatic time keeping based on elepased hours. In
other words, I would give them each 10 hours at the beginning of the week,
they could use them on demand within certain restrictions. I would not need
to monitor their elapsed time, time of day access, or length of session.
When
they've been on for an hour, they're automatically off for 30 minutes (for
example).
And when total time used accumulates to the limit, they're off for the week.

Other restrictions. (1) Between hours of 3:00pm and 9:00pm weekdays,
probably 9:00am-9:00pm weekends and holidays. (2) No more than one hour at a
time, with a 30 minute break between sessions.

Would also like a "time out" feature, e.g., 5 minutes and no keyboard
activity = log them out of the access system.

Around the country I've sometimes bought wireless time and the features
I'm after seem to mimic the cyber cafe model.

But ... I'll  keep reading.  (Yes, I know, RTFM    ....   <grin>   )

---
Will Cook  willcook at att.net