knoppix

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Mon Mar 15 02:24:11 CST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:55:15 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> I actually ran into some files that Knoppix can't delete.
> I'm repairing a Winders 98 PC for someone and I think
> he filled the drive to almost totally full.  I removed a
> bunch of stuff and then tried to delete some spyware
> in the Program Files dir and I get permission denied.
>
> Anyone know why?

Sometimes Linux picks up on the FAT file record and interprets it to mean
something like file permissions.  There's a "read-only" bit you can set.
Other times Linux gets annoyed with special characters in the filename
which aren't allowed in Linux filenames.

I've had some success deleting those files using Midnight Commander (mc),
the ncurses-based file manager.  The mc app seems to be able to ignore
file permissions in some cases, especially since you're running it as
root, allowing you to delete files in mc which wouldn't delete in plain
shell "rm <filename>".