SCO question

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Thu Mar 11 03:52:51 CST 2004

What if your block assignment predates ARIN, ICANN, IANA, and even the
InterNIC?  E.g., what if you sent a message to John Postel some time in
the 80's when he was still doing everything and he gave you a class B?
I think SCO's block falls into that category.  It's lower numerically
than UMKC's block, which was assigned around '88 or so as far as I can
tell.  It's quite likely than none of the regional registries have
jurisdiction over SCO's address block, and therefore can't reclaim it.

BTW, there's one level in the hierarchy above ARIN.  IANA allocates
blocks to it and the other three RIRs:

    http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ip-addresses.htm