Anti-spam SMTP mods

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 9 15:26:31 CST 2004

Sorry about that, not enough coffee yet...
On Tuesday March 9 2004 12:45 am, Lucas Peet wrote:

> Why not just have all mail servers setup with their own GPG keys ..

There are already authorization methods, and means that allow only trusted
servers to connect to your server.  SSL is one of the preferred methods.  As
long as you trust the connecting server, you can trust mail from it, assuming
it is adequately protected against relaying from bogus hosts.

The problem is, not everybody wants to restrict connections to only known
servers - they want unknown servers to connect as well.  Besides that,
there's the issue of standards.  Is Microsoft going to allow Novell servers
to connect to Exchange servers, given their history of breaking the other
guy's protocol.

I think that's one of the reasons all these ideas for securing and authorizing
mail fail to catch on.  I know I have no enthusiasm for setting up a
"handshake" system that will reach maybe two or three percent of the servers
out there.