Faking "Internet Explorer" using other browsers

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Mon Mar 8 14:26:45 CST 2004

I was just trying to let you know what the item was called.  I figured you could find what you
really needed from there.  I guess next time I'll just give you the google link and let you pick
from there.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Leo J Mauler <webgiant at juno.com> 03/07/04 03:05AM >>>

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:35:46 -0600 Brian Kelsay
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
>
> > How do you tell another webserver that you are using
> > "Internet Explorer" when you're really using Mozilla?
> >
> > It hasn't been an issue until now (I tend not to patronize
> > websites which demand that you use a particular browser),
> > except that there's a job position I'd like to apply for which
> > requires Internet Explorer to fill out the application.  The
> > website flat out refuses to use any other browser.
>
> You have to change the browser or user agent ID string.
> http://www.mozilla.org/build/user-agent-strings.html

Thats all fine and good, but the website you direct me to contains a
proposal from someone who doesn't want for people to be able to change
the user-agent-string, and certainly doesn't include instructions on how
to create a user-agent-string which mimics "Internet Explorer".

In fact, it states that "Internet Explorer" currently sends a string
identifying itself as "Mozilla", which is somewhat confusing given the
problems I've been having.  Is perhaps this linked document a little
*old*?