IDE/ATA mapping

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 00:49:19 CST 2004

--- Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:

> At the meeting on Wednesday, a gentleman brought his
> SUSE 7.3 system and we had a look at several
> different issues. In the coarse of examination;
> we found that /dev/hda and /dev/hdc where the same
> drive. I've done some research and I have two
> theories but no definitive answers:
>
> 1. On 2.4 kernels, there's an 'old' hd.c driver that
> may have been grabbing the root device and
> enumerating it at /dev/hda; the new ide.c driver
> grabs everything from /dev/hdb onwards. I'm not
   > aware of an easy way to figure out if that is
what  > is occurring.

> 2. Lilo.conf /map/ have either an map-drive= or an
> disktab= entry that is causing LILO to ask the BIOS
> to map the IDE channel address for ide0,0 to ide1,0.
>
> Either way, we'd have to have another look.

Hi All,

That be me! Sometimes I shock myself how I cam turn
things inside out and still have things mostly work.

Thanks to everyone who helped, consulted, encouraged,
and looked over shoulders.

This afternoon I finally had time to check out the
changes. Much to my surprise there is an icon for the
card reader on the desktop. I thought I'd have to
invoke the device from the command line. Works great.

I just burned my first CD. Once I have everything
backed up, I'll upgrade to Suse 9.0 Pro.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Bob Kennedy