installing software (was RE: Palm Router)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Mar 5 14:44:53 CST 2004

I haven't checked out the tar.gz files that come from debian,
but since I have tar.gz files from debian on my box and I've
never compiled anything, I suspect they are all binaries.
I'll investigate and get back to you on that one.

>[snip]
>If you know your C (or whatever programming language was used).  If you
>don't, you're just as free to modify the installed apps as you are with
>Windows.  The only difference is in the *nature* of the locked door
>(which is that with Linux, the locked door has a window, ironically).  :)
I disagree. I consider it a door that leads to the door that one needs.
Anyu library would have books on C. So you could teahc yourself, or take a class at a local
college, or get a tutor to teach you the basics of C.

>[snip]
>Most of the games I'd like to use come as source-only, and I'm still
>trying to track down the dependencies (or whatever else there is) which
>prevent the sources from compiling.
Well why didn't you say so from the start. That's easily fixed.
What exactly are these games you want to install. I'll see if I
can't find the dependencies you need. Heck, I might even make a debian
package for you. ;')

>[snip]
>Oh, I wish all the sources I'd like to compile came with a configure
>script.
Can't argue weith you there.
;')

>[snip]
>> approach", hmmm... "those nice young men in their clean
>> white coats, they're coming to take me away" (or
>> something like that. Gee, I hope RIAA doesn't sue me
>> for that).
>
>Wrong metaphor, and "they're coming to take me away" is a
>very old song which I don't believe is on any of the major labels.  :)
>
>White coated professionals tending the computers.  Think "Deep Thought".
>First think about "The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy" if the reference
>is too esoteric.  :)
lol. I knew what you meant. :))

Brian

P.S. On a tangent subject, I got my new server working with
debian+apache+'apache-ssl'+procmail+exim+spamassassin+
'courier-imap-ssl'+squirrellmail+firewall.
Now all I have to do is add content (I ahve one page so far+squirrellmail.