Multiple gateways??? Redundant connection suggestions.

Patrick pert at tas-kc.com
Thu Mar 4 23:49:04 CST 2004

Ok I guess that was confusing. I do not have my own ASN and thus I do
not have my own Public network. Instead I have 2 public network address
spaces owned by 2 different ISP's .

+--------+    +-------+
| ISP 1  |    | ISP 2 |
+--------+    +-------+
   |             |
   |             |
+--+-------------+---+
|My DMZ Network 5 PCs|
+---------+----------+

   +------+---+
   |PIX       |
   +-----+----+

      Internal Net

Do I put 2 gateways on my DMZ PC's and the PIX
Do I put a linux box with a nic for each gateway and the DMZ
Do I put 2 IP nets on the same physical net (DMZ both 192.168.1.0 and
192.168.2.0)
Do I just set 1/2 the systems to ISP 1 and the other to ISP 2

Brian Densmore wrote:

> [...]
anyway. This is the way I read it

>You have 5 pcs, 2 routers and a pix firewall.
>You have one network on 1 router and 1 network on the other router
>(stop me anytime I get something wrong) and both networks are isolated.
>At least one network is connected to the pix firewall?
>
>You want to connect these two networks and add a third network.
>
>There are so many possible configurations here it's not funny.
>One solution would be to add a nic to each of the two gateways
>thus creating the third network and connecting the two networks.
>This would make two network two hops away from each other and one
>network one hop away from the other two.
>
>Another would be as you suggested is to add a third gateway with three nics
>connected to both existing gateways and a new switch that connects your third
>network. The advantage to this solution would be the new linux gateway could
>be used to restrict traffic between the existing two networks easier. This way
>your new network would be one hop away from the existing ones and the existing ones would be 2
hops away from each other (unless they are already connected somehow).