Multiple gateways??? Redundant connection suggestions.

Patrick pert at tas-kc.com
Thu Mar 4 20:54:07 CST 2004

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to deal with multiple net connections.
I do not have my own network, so I have two different networks.

My network is comprised of W2k & Linux
I am thinking of  just putting them both on the same private network,
but will I need a psudo gateway i.e. a linux box with 3 nics: one to
each gateway, and a 3rd to the local net? Or put both gateways in under
each systems IP/route settings. Or give each system 2 lan addresses and
two gateways. Or setup 1/2 the pc's on one gateway, and the other on the
2nd gateway.

I see how I can put in both gateways in linux's route, and W2k's IP
settings, but how will it know where to go? Can it round robin out? use
one as a default?  How about inbound. If something comes across one
network inbound, will the other network also work? I am not familear
with the matrix.

I know both routers (Caymen, and a Netopia 7200) have a RIP setting, but
I am sure that is for the public side not the internal side.

Bacicly this if for my DMZ I have 5 pc's/servers and a pix to my
internal net  that will be looking at these two gateways.