Anti-spam SMTP mods

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Mar 3 19:44:27 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:
> [...]

the email headers as forged. I haven't written any custom rules for exim yet (just downloaded the
documentation this morning).

Different problem than SPF (and the alternative MS and Yahoo! proposals)
are designed to fix.

SPF is intended as a way to allow a third party (the recipient of the
e-mail) to tell if the sender and from: address are valid (ie: came from
your mail server) or are spoofed (ie: came from my rouge spam server).

> Is the SPF implementation hard? I may look into as my new lean mean debian server is using less
than 300 MB total installed software so far (web+mail+webmail).

It doesn't look too hard to implement, depending on what you're running.
The Exim 4 implementation is simply a set of rules you add to the
smpt_rcpt and smtp_data access lists.  With qmail, you get to re-compile
from patched source (but then, that should be easy, since if you're
running qmail, you can probably patch and compile the source in your
sleep! :-).

There's also a DNS portion of SPF, which involves adding TXT records to
your domain indicating which machine(s) in your domain are allowed to
send mail.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net