Palm Router (FreeSCO]

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Mar 3 14:59:24 CST 2004

> > FreeSCO
Free router.

I always call it Freesco, to de-emphasize the sco part.  It is meant to be a Free-CISCO
replacement.  SCO never has, nor never will be able to make a router product.  Too stupid.  Cisco
Systems however, is well known for routers and networking equipment.  After the LRP project
started, you started to see Linux appear and be marketed in network appliances and devices.   I
personally used to use Freesco, but now use IPCop.

>From the site:  http://www.freesco.org/

FREESCO (stands for FREE ciSCO) is a free replacement for commercial routers supporting up to 3
ethernet/arcnet/token_ring/arlan network cards and up to 2 modems.
Why should you use Freesco?

    * Ease of use - it's insanely easy to set up
    * Thoroughly documented - it's more or less self contained, read one doc and you're off and
running
    * Like most players in this field, it runs off one floppy
    * FreeSco runs in as little as 6 Mb RAM.
    * Unique Web Control Panel

Freesco is the easiest to use, one disk Linux system available. For more, read the full overview.

Brian Kelsay