Palm Router

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Mar 1 18:40:54 CST 2004

On Monday March 1 2004 10:18 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> So my solution is (cost of old hardware+$0 for distro+few hours of setting
> it up=very tweakable Linux Router)

True, and for any of us who know (or want to learn) linux and have the old
P120 or better, it's great.

I used to build these for people, but I can't recommend it any more.  For
around $50 you can get a black box that doesn't make any fan or HD noise,
requires no keboard, mouse, or monitor, takes up as much space as a paperback
book, and can be managed successfully by a non-technical person.

I've never used one of the pre-packaged Linux firewalls, nor have I ever had
the spare capacity to install any GUI or web-based interface, which might
make a Linux firewall more managable to a non-technical person, but I still
suspect that for anyone but the Linux computer hobbiest the "brick" solution
is the best.