DNS Help

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 01:30:37 CDT 2004

Oren Beck wrote:

>> From: Jonathan Hutchins <>
>> To: kclug
>> Subject: Re: DNS Help
>>
>> If you're going to bottom post, please at least edit your quotes. At
>> least for
>> the lazy, top posting means we can ignore the three pages of concatenated
>> signatures at the end.
>

> To a Point editing cruft to improve reading clarity has merit .
> Where it becomes counterproductive is if content loss to standalone
> reading of a post suffers .
> Snipping the Cruft of  full routing headers from all 5 "meToo" followers
> who's posts EACH added  viral marketing 'bots 8 line sigs etc IS a good
> thing .  1 to 3 line self promo sigs are ok if not abusively used .
> Common sense is rare <sigh>
>
> Eviscerating core text is not always good- Err on side of letting reader
> ignore Vs proclaiming ourselves censor of followups .  Forgive the
> soapboxing . And the Top/bottom issue is akin to disputing which end
> eggs should be opened from by my take . Group consensus should be the
> arbiter .
>
> Oren

Normally I trim sigs and extra cruft, BUT I was making a point.  He got
on me for trying to find a free alternative and thought I should pay
$24.95/yr for just the DNS of one domain that was not for business, but
for knocking around!!  So I pointed out the irony of him saying that
whilst using a free webmail account from yahoo.  I thought it
appropriate to leave the sig in that case and post directly below that
which I was referring.