DNS Help

Phoenician Phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Sun Jun 27 16:44:08 CDT 2004

Subject: Re: DNS Help

Yes, I want to do mail too.  Zoneedit will for now forward all mail to
the new domain to any email acct I want, but later it will send the mail
to my IP and I can have the firewall forward to the webserver or another

box just for mail.   What is the smarthost?

  A smarthost is basically an outbound relay agent or server.
A problem that you will run into, because your IP is dynamically
assigned, is that certain ISPs (AOL, COX, RR, etc) will not accept mail
from an SMTP server without a static IP.

Link below: Roar Runners policy as it pertains to mail servers with Dyn
IPs:
 http://security.rr.com/mail_blocks.htm (look for the first block of red
lettering)

  The way around this issue is to "forward" all outbound mail from your
server to your ISPs SMTP server.
Many times you will not need to be concerned with authentication to your
ISP's SMTP server because permission is determined by the senders IP
address; If the IP is assigned by your IP the you are allowed to send
mail through it, if they do not own the IP address then outbound mail is
rejected with "No Relaying allowed".

Link below: SMTP setup option @ The Linux Gazette
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:o6aGFeBINUgJ:www.linuxgazette.com/i
ssue92/okopnik.html+smarthost+linux&hl=en

Good luck - Michienne