DNS Help

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Sat Jun 26 19:29:19 CDT 2004

Daniel Siemens wrote:

> sbcglobal.net email.  I know SBC will create a PTR record for you if you
> have static IP's.   I don't know how they will do this for you with a
> dynamic IP.   Without these records, expect some email to fail.   AOL
> comes to mind.

AOL just checks to see if there IS a PTR record, it doesn't have to
match anything, and even then AOL doesn't necessarily reject it,
according to Carl Hutzler, AOL's "director of Anti-Spam operations".
But AOL is going to start rejecting email that fails SPF
(http://spf.pobox.com) next month.  SPF is simply an anti-forgery scheme
rather than specifically anti-spam, but if spammers can't hide behind
fake addresses it is a good start.

Oh, and I hadn't realized that Brian's IP was dynamic.  Scratch
self-hosting the DNS server, in that case.

Regards,

-Don