Great Computer Language Shootout Revived

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jun 21 14:36:21 CDT 2004

I was disappointed to see all those mathematical tests and not
a single showing for FORTRAN. Also where's my favorite programming
language, Delphi? Interesting to see the results for C#. It looks
as though they specifically optimized C# to perform certain tasks
much faster than others. Could it be an indication of knowing
what math routines are run in certain benchmarking programs and
then tweaking those functions to the nth degree? Hmmm...
Nothing too surprising in here. Object oriented languages run slower
than non-object oriented ones. Compiled faster than scripted.
In general that is.

Any solution that gets the correct answer should be allowed.

> > The bash solution to the word count problem is similar...
>
> On the contrary, it's the =perfect= solution.  It's what the
> Unix shell is
> all about - combing the tools that come with the system to
> get a job done.
>
> One of my co-workers is a 'programmer'.  So when he wants to
> make a tool to
> help our people get something accomplished, he has to compile
> it for SCO
> Open Server (may run under Linux with ibcs module), compile
> again for AIX,
> and thereby produce a big honking binary.  I, OTOH, am a
Well if his binary is big and honking, it is his own fault.
It should be his source code that is big and honking with lots of
#ifdef statements for the compiler to chuck out the unnecessary code.
;')

> hacker.  So I write
Oh and programmers can't be hackers? If I wasn't so easy going I might take
offense to that. (now where did I store that killer targeting worm ...)
;')

> shell scripts that call on system tools like
> sed/awk/grep/head/tail/wc...
> What I produce is much smaller, and can run under both
> platforms with a few
>
> if [ `uname` = 'AIX' ]
>
> directives where necessary, which isn't that often.
C programs can be quite small too. In fact I have written many a one line
program in C. Much to my old professors' chagrin.

$0.02,
Brian "Master of Obfuscation"