jargon

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Fri Jun 18 03:35:43 CDT 2004

crash 3m wrote:
> LUGnuts,
>
> I was talking with an associate earlier and he's managed to baffle me.
>  port 148 is listed in services as 'jargon' yet every google query
> we've tried comes up with nothing useful about the protocol.  I'm
> hoping one of you might have a reference to more information on the
> subject.

The IANA port assignmet page at

has a comment after the port 148 entry referring to Bill Wienman.
Gooling for '"Bill Weinman" jargon' turns up a page on "Writing Internet
Services in Perl" at

  http://www.perlbook.com/

Chapter 4 is titled "Jargon: A Typical Internet Service."

That's the only clue I could find.  You might try sending an email to
Bill (his address is on the IANA page).