Great Computer Language Shootout Revived

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Jun 17 21:04:04 CDT 2004

Gerald Combs wrote:
> Jason Clinton wrote:
>
>> Let the flame wars begin:
>>
>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/index.php

<snip>

> On the "Reverse A File" problem I noticed the following:
>
>   - The bash solution is downright funny.
>   - The gcc solution used more memory than the bash solution.
>   - I would've expected the gforth solution to fare better.  Maybe
>     it's an iterpreted-vs-compiled issue.

Yeah, it doesn't quite seem like the bash solution should be allowed.

The bash solution to the word count problem is similar...

I've played a bit with the bash version of the Fibonacci problem.  I've
gotten about a 2x speed improvement (by using case instead of if, and
switching to return <value> instead of echo <value>, but it's broken
(result is mod 256, due to 8-bit return value) and it still takes over
20 minutes on a 750 MHz system (cutoff is 5 minutes on a 1.1G athlon).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net