Great Computer Language Shootout Revived

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jun 17 16:16:04 CDT 2004

Let the flame wars begin:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/index.php

The most interesting observations I've made so far:

* Bash (using standard unixisms) being included is kinda fun -- it
almost always lost, as well; if I had to guess I would think it
has to do with piping around the results of running the commands
in C and overhead for starting and stopping a lot of processes to
do one little thing
* I've always thought of Perl as outperforming all other language
having been around the longest but Python beat Perl in almost
every test.
* PHP abysmally lost almost every time -- interesting given that its
running so many web sites; Ruby also performed horribly despite
being a popular new language
* Java performed marginally better than all scripting languages in
all but a few tests. Java's memory consumption was astronomically
high, though
* Code complexity is also rated in these tests; take a look at the
C++ vs. Python on the Spell Checker test, for instance

<>The site has some bugs. PHP code cannot be viewed due to web server
configuration; Python code is linked incorrectly: you have to take the
.psycho off the end to see the code. The author invites language GURU's
to submit higher performing versions of the code on the site. Also, read
the disclaimer.