Computer For Sale

Charles, Joshua Micah (UMKC-Student) jmcqk6 at umkc.edu
Thu Jun 3 00:03:38 CDT 2004

Hello All,

Just over a month ago, I decided I needed a separate computer dedicated
to a piece of software I'm developing.  Unfortunately, fate has not
smiled on me in the last month, and now I need to sell it.  Here's the
specs on the computer:

AMD Athlon XP processor 3200+ ( 2.2 Ghz) Advanced 400 MHz front side bus

512 Megs Ram (64 MB shared with video)

80 Gb Harddrive

DVD+RW / CD-RW

Extra CD-ROM ( I can throw in a replace CD-RW a couple years older.)

Front Panel 9 in 1 memory card reader

ASUS A7V8Z-LA motherboard

Integrated AC97 audio

It also same with a 17"" CRT monitor that is also for sale.

Ok, As soon as I got it, I wiped the computer of Windows Home edition
and installed SUSE 9.1 Professional.  I tried to take the computer back,
however, and I reinstalled XP Professional.  Unfortunately it didn't
really come with recover CD's so the original software is lost unless
you want to send it in to Compaq.  I can however load any number of
Linux Distros on it, including the ones I've paid licenses for:

Lindows 4.5 ( well, I got it free through OS News )

Lycoris Desktop/LX Developer Edition ( $50 value )

Suse 9.0.  I need to check the license for Suse 9.1 to see if it will
allow on multiple machines, and if so, I can put that on there, but I'm
using one copy on my other computer.

I've also loaded Fedora Core 1 on it and it works well.

Some things that don't play nice with linux:

3D acceleration - I might have gotten this to work, but truth is I
didn't really try.  There is an open AGP slot

DVD-RW - couldn't ever get it to work.  It burns CD's great though, at a
blazing 16x

NIC - I had trouble with this at first, but later determined that it was
actually my router giving it problems.  I can through in a National
Semiconductors Network card that I know works if needed, though.

Other than that, it's a great computer, and I wish I could keep it.
Unfortunately, there aren't many businesses out there wanting to pay for
a website, so I'm stuck. And my roomies moved out, so there's rent to
pay also.

Anyway, if you think you might be interested in this computer, I'm
willing to negotiate on prices.  I do have a buyer lined up (my parents)
but I would prefer to sell to someone else, simply because in the three
years I've been in college, I've not yet had to take money from them,
and selling to them would be too much like that.  But I digress

I hope to hear from you.

Josh