Nwtworking PowerMac to Linux to Windows

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Thu Jul 15 00:50:49 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 06:25 pm, webgiant at juno.com wrote:
>

>>Also, his is a PowerMac bought when Mac OS 8.0 was *new*, I doubt there's a
>>built-in Ethernet port.
>

> Some of them have ethernet ports that require special adapters to connect to
> any standard cabling.  I believe all the power macs did have internal
> ethernet cards though.

The special interface was the "AAUI" (Apple AUI).  Dunno why they didn't
just use the IEEE standard AUI like everyone else at the time.  If your
friend's Mac has an AAUI interface, you can get a transceiver for $4,
according to Froogle:

    http://www.smalldog.com/product/37076/atfgc

Better hurry, though.  There are only 282 of these rare and valuable
artifacts left in stock.