Backing up a directory to a remote file system

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Sat Jan 31 18:38:06 CST 2004

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Karl Schmidt wrote:
>
>> The rsync stream is very compressed. In fact, if a file changes it
>> calculates the differences and only sends that as compressed data -
>> very fast.
>

> Does it diff binaries?

Yes! rsync is one of the star examples of excellent OSS. I think it was
written by the same guy who did samba.

I use rsync for updating our web site - which often has new versions of
binary software in it. Even running it over ssh it is very fast.

To give you an example, I changed the email address on 100+ pages of the
web site (to avoid some of the virus bounce messages) yesterday. It took
only about 20 seconds to rsync the remote site. moving whole files would
have taken several minutes.

> Hum. Interesting. I still have to tarball it on the destination server
> which is not what I want.

You could try making the tarball on the other end and rsyncing the
resulting file - always keeping it the same name on both end - Depending
on how well it calculates the changed data that might work pretty well.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

Happiness is a Swedish sunset; it is there for all, but most of us look
the other way and lose it.--Mark Twain