Backing up a directory to a remote file system

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Jan 30 21:15:49 CST 2004

Jason Clinton wrote:

  The extention of that is to archive the rsync'd
> directory on the back-up server locally. That seems like killing a
> cockroach with a shotgun, though. Three reasons this won't work: I don't
> want copies of their directory structure sitting on the backup server in
> an unarchived state, the rsync stream is not compressed,

The rsync stream is very compressed. In fact, if a file changes it
calculates the differences and only sends that as compressed data - very
fast.

I don't want to
> have to manage an rsync server in addition to all of the other ones I'm
> already managing.

You don't need a rsync server -- just rsync -e ssh  -au
remotefoo.com:/file tree /local_image-tree

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

Misdirection is the key to being a good magician.
Magicians tell you they are doing something while they
do something quite different.
Much like politicians, except we can afford magicians. -KPS