OT: Symbol barcode emits two lasers, not one.

Dre G. enabled at linuxjunkies.com
Fri Jan 30 03:41:12 CST 2004

I used to manage about 500 symbol scanners and a million square feet of
wireless loving.. Imagine some of the challenges with that :P
There wasnt just one of me doing it but we had many other tasks as well to
do.
My scanner stories could go on for years and years and years but I think I
am done with the flashback for now

/me twitchs back to his own corner

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> >Does anyone know what causes a laser scanner
> >to emit two laser beams? It's probably been dropped,
> >but I'm curious to know if there is a way to open
> >the case and realign something.
>
> Ones I used to use in the shipping industry read 2-D barcodes, which included package routing
info, address, shipper, contents, etc.   I think it could store over 256 characters.   Look here:
http://www.adams1.com/pub/russadam/stack.html  for more info.  I think we used the Data Matrix or
PDF417, I forget which.

> If the scanner was dropped, you could have a mirror out of alignment or a broken mirror or prism.
 The scanner users used to just bang them on the side of a package until they started working
again.  Oh yeah, that'll fix it.   Wires used to break inside the cable casing all the time too.
Lot of abuse can occur inside a package hub.  You should have seen the some of the damage to
handheld scanners the drivers carried.  Same as the FedEx ones, in fact my old Co. merged w/ FedEx.
 I had the lucky task of reprogramming the scanners and sending off the broken ones.