Backing up a directory to a remote file system

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jan 29 17:09:09 CST 2004

What version of tar are you using?

[brian at dunsmuir brian]$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.11

[brian at dunsmuir brian]$ tar --help
GNU `tar' saves many files together into a single tape or disk archive, and
can restore individual files from the archive.

Usage: tar [OPTION]... [FILE]...

If a long option shows an argument as mandatory, then it is mandatory
for the equivalent short option also.  Similarly for optional arguments.

Main operation mode:
  -t, --list              list the contents of an archive
  -x, --extract, --get    extract files from an archive
  -c, --create            create a new archive
  -d, --diff, --compare   find differences between archive and file system
  -r, --append            append files to the end of an archive
  -u, --update            only append files newer than copy in archive
  -A, --catenate          append tar files to an archive
      --concatenate       same as -A
      --delete            delete from the archive (not on mag tapes!)

Operation modifiers:
  -W, --verify               attempt to verify the archive after writing it
      --remove-files         remove files after adding them to the archive
  -k, --keep-old-files       don't overwrite existing files when extracting
  -U, --unlink-first         remove each file prior to extracting over it
      --recursive-unlink     empty hierarchies prior to extracting directory
  -S, --sparse               handle sparse files efficiently
  -O, --to-stdout            extract files to standard output
  -G, --incremental          handle old GNU-format incremental backup
  -g, --listed-incremental   handle new GNU-format incremental backup
      --ignore-failed-read   do not exit with nonzero on unreadable files