Backing up a directory to a remote file system

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jan 29 16:22:15 CST 2004

Well I don't see why tar can't do everything you need.
If you have a copy of the full archive you could use
the -g (aka --listed-incremental) incremental flag
to get an incremental backup.
If you don't have a copy of the full archive available
then use the -N <somedate> option to grab only the files
newer than <somedate>. Thus you get an incremental backup.
There are also commercial Linux backup programs that can
do all this for you. But then maybe I'm missing something.

HTH,
Brian