Mirroring a server

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Jan 27 17:01:34 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 07:39:36AM -0600, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> Jason Crowe wrote:
>
> >How can I keep the two servers mirrored after they are put into use? I
> >had planned on using dd after the install. is using cat a better way?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jason
> >

> man rsync, over ssh?

For a basic deal you could use cron to have it sync.  You may end up needing a second NIC to carry
the sync load to the backup server.  If you just wanted a backup, I just read some interesting
stuff on Mondo in Linux Journal.  It looks like a pretty good backup utility.  As Charles said, if
you want auto failover and HA then you need to look further.  The simple fact that you are asking
and not implementing, means you are probably not ready for HA or clustering or other complicated
means.   I know I'm not.  Try something simple to start with to get your project off the ground and
go complicated later.  You may be able to use your old mail server temporarily as the backup until
the 2nd highend server is ready.  Just a thought.

Brian Kelsay