Fax Modem

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jan 27 16:18:30 CST 2004

First I would recommend choosing the software you
will use for the fax-modem and then choose a fax-modem
supported by the software.

> The modem will be connected to my Gentoo server and used solely for
> faxing. Faxes will be sent from several workstations on my network to
> the server and then the server will use eFax to send them on
> their way.
>   I am looking for suggestions / recommendations on the type
> / brand of
> modem to purchase.   I have been looking at U.S. Robotics
> model 5686E,
> which is an external modem that would connect via RS-232 cable. Are
> there other benefits of having an external verses internal
> model beside
> the obvious diagnostic lights?  Is this particular model overkill for
> what I will be using it for? And umm, what about Linux support?
I like external modems and USR external modems are usually good.
I have seen at least one model of USR external modem that was actually
a winmodem. This was over a year ago though and don't recall the model.
I went with a Zoom external modem (which is fax capable, but I have
never used it). Zooms work quite good in Linux and are also quite good
in speeds. I highly recommend them.

Brian