Fax Modem

Brandon Ward brandonward at kcpipeband.org
Tue Jan 27 16:05:29 CST 2004

I am in need of a fax modem and I am not sure which one I should buy.
The modem will be connected to my Gentoo server and used solely for
faxing. Faxes will be sent from several workstations on my network to
the server and then the server will use eFax to send them on their way.
  I am looking for suggestions / recommendations on the type / brand of
modem to purchase.   I have been looking at U.S. Robotics model 5686E,
which is an external modem that would connect via RS-232 cable. Are
there other benefits of having an external verses internal model beside
the obvious diagnostic lights?  Is this particular model overkill for
what I will be using it for? And umm, what about Linux support?