Could open-source be illegal someday?

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Jan 27 05:30:06 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 kurt at verruckt.org wrote:

> Have any of your guys and gals read this?

> My god what is wrong with SCO?!?!?!  When they eventually go bankrupt, we
> should throw a party :)

To me the SCO business model sounds a lot like the car sales business:

http://edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

Lots of parallels between the dot.com boom/bust and what happened to the
auto industry.  Like sueing customers of competitors:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/articles.cfm?catid=7&articleid=863&homepage=yes

What we have here is a maturing industry as it becomes commoditized.  SCO
is fighting that trend.  It seems ugly, but its another example how an
organized business fights to evolve into something greater.

Some might argue SCO is a cancerous growth that threatens our vitality as
a technological leader.

"We live in interesting times."