LTSP Advice

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Sun Jan 25 05:01:19 CST 2004

I have a friend who owns a small business.  He is remodeling the
workspace he and his employees use and he'd like to really modernize in
the process.  The things he and his employees need are very well covered
by linux, and he is seriously considering it.  The main application they
use runs on a unix server, which they access through a terminal
interface.  Definitely no problem there.  They also need mail, a shared
calendar, a spreadsheet, a little bit of publishing, and they use
Quicken a little.  I can show him Linux equivalents and Cross-Over
Office, and let him choose what he thinks will work best for them.

Here's the thing that sounded appealing to him, then he took it a little
farther.  I told him about running everything on a server and just have
some simple X terminals on each person's workstation.  I'm starting to
look at ltsp.org, but thought I would see if any of you guys had any
experience you could share.  The other thing he thought would be great
would be if these terminals could all be wireless, including the
printers.  Then the only wires that would be required in the office
would be power.  That would be cool, but I'm not sure if the technology
is there yet.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Jim