Using wireless to get a fast connection where none exists

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Jan 24 15:32:14 CST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Becker, Rob wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out how to get better than dial up access
> to a location that has no DSL or cable available.  The location is
> fairly high and probably has line of sight to areas that have DSL
> available.  Is line of sight absolutely required to get a wireless
> connection from one point to another?  I'm curious as to whether we
> could get a connection using better antenna's etc from a site with DSL
> to one without.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  What kind
> of range can you get with Yagi antennas and the like?  What kind of
> conditions are required for them to work?  Will a radio signal die off
> if it hits trees, or just be weakened?  Any help appreciated.

I have found shooting 802.11 over a hill is very easy.  Out in the
country, we took a 24dbi dish antenna with a real cheap quality linksys
AP, still laying on the ground, aimed somewhat down the gravel road.  We
took the truck, 12dbi yagi and laptop, complete with another cheap quality
linksys card, and went down that road.  About a half mile, we crested the
hill where the barn and trees were and no longer was the house or antenna
in sight.  A mile and a half further, we still had a good connection, and
turned back.

I guess 2.4GHz is high enough of a frequency to deflect off the cornfield
into another valley.

We also tried a can of chunky beef stew, V8, and other things for dinner.
All worked well.  Antennas are very easy to make.  I found 1.21 inches is
the magic length for 2.4GHz and the artwork is reflecting it.  It doesn't
take much effort to make a healthy antenna that tastes great too.