Using wireless to get a fast connection where none exists

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Jan 23 22:54:54 CST 2004

Charles Steinkuehler (charles at steinkuehler.net) wrote:
[snip]
>When a radio signal hits something like a building or tree, it gets
>attenuated and possibly dispersed (ie: weakened), not "swallowed up".
>
>Probably the best way to get a 'real-world feel' for what happens is to
>compare wireless links to cell-phones (especially the more modern
>digital phones, which use somewhat similar frequencies).  They'll work
>through walls, inside metal buildings, etc, but the link quality will go
>to hell, and if it gets bad enough, they just won't work at all.
[snip]

Just out of curiosity, anyone tried to make their own "pringles can" antenna or the
like?  Saw this a while back on ThinkGeek, and thought it might be worth a shot
if/when I find myself in need of a good antenna - anyone had a go with one of these
yet?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/666e/

Dustin