Wireless Warsitting (as opposed to wardriving)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Jan 23 20:33:35 CST 2004

There's an entire city in CA doing exactly this. They hired a company to put
in hotspots. Everyone in the city is entitled to free internet. It's something
whose time is coming (only I suspect it won't be free forever and for everyone,
probably become part of the city fees to all residents or something). I wonder
if it's feasible to put together such a network, and use some kind of handshake
to allow registered users in and keep others out. A group of people could team
up for the cost of a business class landline access, and throw a bunch of
repeaters in the area to serve the members. Might not be a bad idea as a
business model. There now I've gone and done it. This idea is protected under
the GPL. So there now I've protected it. ;)

Brian