Several Postgres questions

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jan 19 16:28:08 CST 2004

I installed postgresql on my debian box. Nicely
installed too. I also added pgacess so I could have a
nice GUI client on top of psql.Using pgacess made me
discover a problem with the install.

If I try to connect using localhost as the host name,
I get refused. If I leave it blank or don't add the -h
option I connect fine. So my question is what is wrong
with my configuration? My pga_hba.conf seems to be set
up with localhost support and tcpip_socket is true,
although it looks as though lookups are off. Does this
need to be on?

My second question is, I'm trying to turn on the pltcl
procedural language, but createlang wants me to have
version 8.4 and I have 8.3. So I thought I would try
adding it the way I added pgsql.
My question is do I use the same value for LANGUAGE?

Like this:
CREATE FUNCTION pltcl_call_handler ()
    RETURNS LANGUAGE_HANDLER AS
    '$libdir/pltcl' LANGUAGE C ;

Or do I need to change the language type or do I
really need to upgrade to tk/tcl version 8.4?

Anyone using pgaccess? I added some tables with it early today,
but when I tried to re-open any table in design mode it tells
me that "public"."mytable" doesn't exist. What's that all about?
Anyone have any other gui client they would recommend? Also, I
want to be able to connect to the db from any of my PCs on my LAN.
Is the only file I need to change my pga_hba.conf file? I've
added a host line to that file with a mask for my network, but I'd
like to be able to deny the firewall box access. What's the best way
of doing that?

Thanks,
Brian

"Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
one from the dark lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
one OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
one OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."    john thrum