How is net connection selected?

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Thu Jan 15 17:44:58 CST 2004

I have a question more out of curiosity than necessity.

If I have 2 ways of connecting to the internet (primary: cable modem
with a static IP; secondary: dial-up), how does "Linux" know which to
use? Is it just a whichever-is-available scenario?

I have fetchmail and sendmail running on my machines to move mail around
internally, and in and out through the internet. fetchmail queries 4
different mail servers to get my mail and deliver it to sendmail here
locally. When I send mail, sendmail shoots all my mail out through a
mail server in... Alabama.

My cable modem wigged out on me a couple weekends ago, and at that time
I hadn't fiddled with dial-up. I have a winmodumb and I was afraid it
would be like pulling teeth to get it going. But, the downed cable
connection motivated me to do it. I did. And now have a dial-up
connection just in case Mr. Cable Guy goes postal on me and I lose my
"broadband."

I also wanted to get dial-up ready for when I move up into the mountains
(if anyone remembers the thread a month or so ago on broadband
alternatives for me, one of which was a high-gain antenna, etc.; neat
stuff).

So, is there an easy explanation about how this works - how fetchmail
and sendmail "choose" how to connect to the net?

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux
Curridabat, San Jose, Costa Rica