keyboard creation

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:48:55 CST 2004

>From: Admin <web at linux2themax.com>
>To: Kansas linux ers <kclug at kclug.org>
>>
>>I think docs for all this should be available online.  I designed a PC
>>PS/2 keyboard controller part into a custom system once, and it came with
>>lots of details on how everything worked.  The old IBM reference manuals
>>for the original PC and AT would probably also cover this.  I've also
>>found the BIOS manufactures to provide good documentation on low-level
>>system stuff, so you might check them out, as well.
>

>http://www.datahand.com/
>
>thats a little further then what i want to do and a hell of a lot more
>expensive.  1500$
>
>I would how ever like to use some of those ideas in the keyboard i want to
>make.  usb would be fine by me possibly prefered.  as i play a fiew games
>it would be nice to be able to hit 5 keys and they all work insted of the
>maximum of 3 by current ps2.  though a while back i heard that it was the
>chip in the keyboard that limited that but cant remember
>

>oren  that controler sounds pretty cool duno if it would be able to do what
>im intrested though. im just intrested in making a  pc keyboard.  how ever
>the mame stuf is kinda a side intrest to ;)

Actually the reason for THAT particular switch encoder is a very close
cloning of it is often used to replace obsolete switch/sensor boards on pc
controlled gear that is orphaned . The same breed of  " dry contact to PC "
controller  is often under $ 20 as a developer sample from various magazine
ads in industry trade journals . I used a " Black Boxes " brand self powered
Serial to Parallel
converter for a microfilm  camera's failed board. The original board from
the camera used reed relays and TTL to a custom long slot XT ! board . The
XT and it's stuff worked fine- it was the reed relay board that puked.
3M/Imation wanted 1900 for the 2 boards claiming them a mated set !

Good Luck .

Oren

" Microsoft bashing is counterproductive as they  do a much better job of it
by their own  actions "