keyboard creation

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:02:08 CST 2004

>From: Charles Steinkuehler <charles at steinkuehler.net>
>To: Kendrick-LUG <kulua at linux2themax.com>
>CC: Kansas linux ers <kclug at kclug.org>
>Subject: Re: keyboard creation
>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:26:08 -0600
>Kendrick-LUG wrote:
>>I was wondering if any one had an idea on how I could go about creating a
>>keyboard.  some electronic experiance.  I tryed googling but found no good
>>information.  Im intrested in making a keyboard that accepts more then 3
>>keys input at a time.  possibly programible
>
>A bit more detail on what you're trying to do would help us provide you
>with more specific answers...hopefully the general info below is of some
>use.
>
>If you're making a USB keyboard, there are several microcontrollers
>avaialble with USB ports, and you simply have to program them to behave
>like a HID (human interface device) to get them to work with most anything
>that supports USB keyboards.
>
>If you're wanting to create a PS/2 or AT keyboard, these communicate using
>a 2 signal (clk and data) serial protocol, typically 'bit-banged' by the
>microcontroller, but some parts have hardware support to offload part of
>this.  Once you get basic communications going, you need to implement the
>high-level keyboard controller protocol (ie: emit the proper scan codes and
>
>I think docs for all this should be available online.  I designed a PC PS/2
>keyboard controller part into a custom system once, and it came with lots
>of details on how everything worked.  The old IBM reference manuals for the
>original PC and AT would probably also cover this.  I've also found the
>BIOS manufactures to provide good documentation on low-level system stuff,
>so you might check them out, as well.
>
>--
>Charles Steinkuehler
>charles at steinkuehler.net

A good prepackaged answer is the MAME controller board type . example being
.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

Which while not the cheapest of it's sort has many " best of breed "
Features that make it the one.

Hacking a standard isolated controller can cost ^WAY^ more in
sanity/personhours/stark failures .

Do not hesitate to e mail me on or off list with queries  .

Or phone me . 816.632.3695 but identify yourself as from the Linux group as
my calls get screened .

Oren

" Microsoft - It might work . Or not  ."