RealTek RTL8139 Linux driver for Debian install?

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Jan 9 20:03:59 CST 2004

>Debian 3.0_r0 doesn't seem to have any network card drivers for my 10/100
>NIC.  It uses the RealTek RTL8139 chipset, and I thought there was a
>RTL8139 driver for it in Linux.  Its not an option in the
>kernel/drivers/net modules section.

I was actually surprised that one of the Debian boot images I tried didn't have a 3Com 905 NIC
driver.  This and the Intel Ether express are the top 2 business NICs.  I was surprised.  I had the
same problem w/ Novell 6.  You can probably put the driver module on a floppy ( it should fit ) and
when you come to that point of the install insert the floppy and grab the module.  Do you need
someone to burn a newer Deb disk?  I've been liking DamnSmall Linux for older PCs and they have a
boot.img to rawwrite to floppy.   The DamnSmall .iso file never gets over 50MB, so you could even
get it over dial-up.  I could easily burn you the latest since I already have it.

Brian Kelsay