Selecting 2.4 Kernel on Boot Floppy Debian Install

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Jan 9 07:06:48 CST 2004

I am installing Debian on my Laptop, which does not boot from CD.  I
would like to boot from floppies, then use the built-in 4x CDROM as the
installation media.  The 4x CDROM works rather well considering its age.

The problem is that I would like to use the 2.4 kernel and the ext3
filesystem.  Debian 3.0 r0 defaults to the 2.2 kernel and the ext2
filesystem.

I boot the system using the rescue.bin and the root.bin floppies.  I have
dd'ed the "bf24.bin" to a floppy, but the laptop will not boot using that
disk, so I boot with the rescue and root floppies.

Someone said on this list that to use the 2.4 kernel one put in "bf2.4"
at the boot prompt.  When I do this it states "Could not find bf2.4
kernel".  I've even tried swapping out floppies at the boot prompt,
putting in the "bf24.bin" floppy and then typing "bf2.4".  I get the same
message when the "bf24.bin" floppy is sitting in the floppy drive.

Is it possible to use the "boot.bat" batch file on the CD with a Win98
rescue disk?  The laptop does not currently have a FAT partition and I
don't plan on having one in it.  The drive is only 2GB so it isn't
practical to create a DOS partition just to use loadlin.