free webspace, dns, email..

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Wed Jan 7 11:44:13 CST 2004

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:36:58 -0500 Michael <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu>
writes:
> I don't know if this has been on this list yet but it was on another
> of my LUG lists and I tried it and am finding it to be a great deal.
> http://1and1.com is offering 3 years of free hosting including web,
> email, and dns with lots of features and they don't even ask for a
> credit card or anything. I've been messing with it for about a week
> and have found no catches and it is really very good. You can ssh
> in to work with files, you can have multiple domains, PHP, MySQL,
> multiple email accounts, 500Mb of space, generous bandwidth limits.
> Worth looking at. The deal runs out in a couple days so figured I'd
> mention it now.

And its worth mentioning that SDF (www.freeshell.org) is still around,
there's no three year limit before the rules all change, no bandwidth
limit, and their offer will be around long after 1and1's offer runs out
(SDF has been in operation since 1987).

Granted it isn't free (I doubt that 1and1 will *stay* free), but it is a
one-time lifetime fee of either $1 for the Basic Account (60MB total
space, 20MB web/20MB email/20MB filespace) or $36 for the ARPA account
(300MB total space, 100MB web/100MB email/100MB filespace).  They do
telnet and ssh, ftp comes with the ARPA account level (Basic accounts can
either mess with ZModem or use email attachments to upload and download
files), all websites are subdomains, and provided you don't traffic in
copyrighted work (that isn't your own) there's no file type limitation on
the websites.  And now they are an ISP for $14 a month with nationwide
local access.  NetBSD 1.6 is what their servers are running on.

And from extensive testing done by the friendly folks of KCLUG, we all
know that subdomains on SDF are quite visible from all our web browsers,
including ones in Costa Rica.  :)

You know what you are getting with SDF.  1and1's offer is probably
attached to a "we can change this agreement at any time" disclaimer.