Where is this Wednesday's Meeting?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Mon Jan 5 23:29:46 CST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:17:49 -0600 (CST) Duane Attaway
<dattaway at dattaway.org> writes:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Leo J Mauler wrote:
>
> > Reiserfs was a dud.  I'm probably going back to ext2
> > at this rate.
>
> I don't think reiserfs had much of a developer mindshare
> or userbase as ext3.

Yes, I figured, ext3 being an extension of ext2.  UNIX and related
animals seem more inclined to extend existing tools rather than write
entirely new ones, unless a new tool is really needed.

> When formatting, use the -j option in mke2fs to add the journal.
> Then you can optionally mount the partition as ext3.  Much nicer
> if you like to experiment or kick the power cord behind the desk
> like me.

That reminds me, I've got an unused, new 320VAC UPS sitting on a shelf
next to me.  Never bothered to use it.  I bought a pair of them back when
MicroCenter put them on sale at $20 each.

Oh right, I was testing one on my wife's computer.  I think the UPS on
her system worked great during our last power outage, so I think I'll
plug the second one into the Linux system.

> I'll start using the 2.4 kernel when it gets sorted out.  Perhaps
> a few weeks...

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:56:15 -0600 (CST) Duane Attaway
<dattaway at dattaway.org> writes:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Brian Densmore wrote:
>
> > > I'll start using the 2.4 kernel when it gets sorted out.
>
> > Didn't you mean the 2.6 kernel?
> > Are you really still using 2.2?
>
> hehe... yes!  I blame it on the cold outside.

Well, unless the Debian docs are a little outdated, according to the
"Which CDs Should I Use?" FAQ the main Debian kernels on Debian 3.0_rc2
are all 2.2, with the "advanced" kernel being 2.4.