Linux Class at Communiversity

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Jan 4 21:06:21 CST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:55:23 -0600 Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > No kidding.  Making your own cables is only an exercise for the
> > truly dedicated.  When I wired my home for Ethernet I had to
> > figure out color pairs.  After the third network wallplate you start
> > wondering about buying cables and prewired wallplate connectors.
> >
> > Tell them about the cable types, UTP vs. STP, what each Cat
> > number means, explain the difference between Straight-thru and
> > Crossover, and you've given them what they need.  Trying to talk
> > about color pair combinations will just confuse your audience.
> > Maybe talk about Hubs and Switches, and why they should pick
> > the latter over the former.
>
> If one doesn't know the difference between a crossover and
> straight-thru cable, this class is not for them, anyways.

I wouldn't go that far.  Crossover cables aren't something one comes
across regularly (except the occasional accidental purchase of a cable
when one didn't read the packaging too closely...hem, haw,
hum...<embarassed expression>) and with the advent of cheap hubs
crossover cables aren't something which many people will have used.

Some people who are getting into becoming technical people may not know
about crossover cables yet, and learning about a two-system connection
cable which is considerably faster than a serial or parallel connection
might be nice for those who have exactly two computers, no hub, and are
bringing their spare to your class...  :)

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:37:56 -0600 <kurt at verruckt.org> writes:

> [...]

Hmmm.  I need more friends with boxes of SIMMs in their basements to give
away.

Maybe that could be my Sig,

"Do you have a box of used SIMMs lying around that you no longer need and
no longer want?  Send it to me."

And then get a P.O. box or something for used RAM.

> There is plenty of that crap laying around in peoples closets and
> basements.  You just have to know who/where to ask...

I had a friend who gave me just such a "bag o' RAM" a few months ago.  He
thought there were some 16MB SIMMs somewhere in it.  Turns out he was
wrong.  All 8MB SIMMs.  Of course, he hadn't used SIMM RAM since, well,
since PC-100 RAM first came out (one of them "early adopters") so its
understandable that he didn't know it when he saw it.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:30:46 -0600 "Jeffrey Cady"
<jcady at unicorntheatre.org> writes:
> I am not sure where you live, but in Kansas City. Surplus Exchange
> has tons of 72 pin SIMM memory it isn't sorted as to EDO or non
> EDO you kind of have to sift through it. It is all pretty cheap
however.

Really?  Hmmm.

Wonder how much I want the RAM.  Dragging a PC up three floors to their
computer "department" to test all their RAM is a bit of a committment.
:)