Linux Class at Communiversity

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Jan 3 17:17:14 CST 2004

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:49:56 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> Oren Beck wrote:
>
> > A suggestion if time , tools , and materials allow would be a "
> > basic ntework cables " lesson . Even if limited to a handout
> > showing the color codes , pair assignments and cable types .
> > Now if the adventuresome wished to make their own cables
> > I can help with teaching materials on paper at least and let me
> > know if more is desired .
>
> Wrong audience.  He should maybe show the basics of hooking
> multiple devices into a network so they could do home networking,
> but NOT make their own cables.  That is just asking for trouble.
> They should be told a good place to BUY cables and what plugs
> into what.

No kidding.  Making your own cables is only an exercise for the truly
dedicated.  When I wired my home for Ethernet I had to figure out color
pairs.  After the third network wallplate you start wondering about
buying cables and prewired wallplate connectors.

Tell them about the cable types, UTP vs. STP, what each Cat number means,
explain the difference between Straight-thru and Crossover, and you've
given them what they need.  Trying to talk about color pair combinations
will just confuse your audience.  Maybe talk about Hubs and Switches, and
why they should pick the latter over the former.