How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

lowell lowell at kc.rr.com
Fri Jan 2 22:20:16 CST 2004

My RH9 doesn't have Xconfigurator anymore, I was distressed to discover...

> If this is the Michael I'm thinking it is, he is doing support for someone else's company.
Distro switch is not practical especially if he knows nothing to even less about Slackware.  This
is like using a sledge to get the lid off a jar of pickles.
> The best thing would be to make a suggestion of some commands to solve or investigate the
problem.  Red Hat's hardware detection is fine, I've never had any problems with standard hardware,
even ATI cards as someone mentioned.  As always investigate your hardware before you install Linux
checking the various online databases and the hardware vendors website to see if they provide
drivers.

> If Ctl+Alt+Bksp doesn't work to shutdown the Xserver, then try the Ctl+Alt+f1 thru f6 trick to
get a console.  As last resort, do a dirty shutdown and issue a Linux single or Linux 3 to change
runlevel from boot: prompt.  Then under Red Hat you can try "Xconfigurator" from the command line.
 The X HAS to be capitalized.  you could also, try "Xf86config".  These are tools I've used to fix
this situation under Red Hat 5 - 9.

> There, see how easy that was.  Useful info, clear concise and while it may not solve his
particular problem, it should lead him in the right direction.  you could also provide a link to a
HOWTO or a Red Hat document indicating the procedure.