Debian vs Suse

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Jan 2 20:10:54 CST 2004

Thanks for the clarifications Paul.

I'm also interested if you might know what the history of debian is - is
  it one of the first disrtos? What were the first few distros?

Am I correct in thinking that debian is the distro of choice for most of
the application programmers? I sure get the sense that a lot of what
happens in other Distros was ported from Debian. I also get the sense
that there are more flavors of debian than other distros - something
that speaks well of the foundation under debian.

What distro was Gentoo based on?

Where should I look to get an overview on how the init scripts in debian
work. (I'm told it is quite different than in Redhat).

How hard is it to upgrade (or downgrade) from one release to the other?

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

A patent provides one a license to enrich his lawyer. -kps