FUD

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Jan 2 16:12:27 CST 2004

"magnificently stable"?!?  That's rich.

My favorite Win95 story comes from when I was building systems for a
payroll project I was on.  One time we had 11 identical HP systems that we
were building, and the only thing on them that required a custom driver was
the video card.  We set them all up in a row and clicked the same buttons
on down the line during the setup to set them all up identically.  3 worked
the way that they were supposed to by the time we were done loading
Windows, and the remaining 8 all had one problem or another that required
either reconfiguration or reloading to bring them up to spec.

- Kevin

             Dave Hull
             <dphull at insipid.c
             Sent by:
             owner-kclug at marau                                          cc
             der.illiana.net           kclug at kclug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: FUD
             01/02/2004 08:52
             AM

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Could we have a little less FUD in here please?
>
> Windows sucks.  It's also a great collection of software, incredibly
flexible
> and powerful, incorporating some fantastic coding and some brilliant
ideas.
> Windows 95 was magnificently stable and reliable for it's day.

That's rich, "Windows 95 was magnificently stable..." I never saw more than

three or four days uptime on a Windows 95 box in our environment supporting
couple thousand 95 boxes. I wouldn't call that stable nor reliable. Still
it
was better than 3.x.

> RedHat has become the Microsoft of the Linux world, with greed-based
> licensing plans

Hm, I just figured they were trying to stay afloat. Something that most OS
based businesses have had a difficult time doing. I bet some of the folks
that
work for Red Hat have families to take care of and I doubt any of them are
going to be future millionaires a la more than 2000 MS employees (and
counting).

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com