Linux Class at Communiversity

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Jan 2 15:51:25 CST 2004

>>> This class  will cover a complete Linux installation from scratch
>>>and lots of vocabulary and schemas.
>>>
>>> What distribution?
>>
>> I will be doing a Gentoo GRP installation on the overhead because
>> it's educational in nature. Perhaps not as educational as a Slackware
>> install but it still lies within the required time constraints.
>
>About them "time constraints": Gentoo is a compiled distro.
>
>The class is two hours long.
>
>How will Gentoo compile in two hours without advanced time travel
>technology?  :)

Gentoo allows Stage 2 and Stage 3 installs where you use some or all pre-compiled programs, but you
lose some of the reason to use a compiling distro.  Stage 2 has GCC and glibc and I believe a
kernel precompiled, basically enough for a command line.  Stage 3 has everything necessary for a
X/KDE/Gnome GUI precompiled and ready to go.  you have to pick your architecture during install, so
it's partially optimized.  I would assume that when you want to upgrade various programs that you
can compile at upgrade time.   Don't just make blind assumptions with out reading the fine
documentation/manual.

Brian Kelsay